Thursday, July 31, 2008

Rough Night

I haven't been sleeping well lately. I often don't, and a lot has been on my mind with my two jobs, starting up with the radio, possibly teaching a bellydancing class, friends from out of town, and of course, Kareoke night, Trivia night, and Poetry slams. Anyway.

In between my shift at Divino and my shift at the Army base, I stopped into Shopper's drug mart to get myself some vitamins, including some melatonin, and to indulge my vanity a little. Maybe I've been reading too many magazines at the gym lately, but I've gotten it into my head that I need to get myself some anti aging cream. You know, I'm almost 25! That's nearly over the hill. And of course it would be all natural antioxidant aging cream, probably made my Burts Bees or Jason. Even as I picked up the tiny $30 bottle of cream I thought to myself, "I can't believe I'm falling for this." Gotta love retail therapy.

I finished my shift at the [secret bar i'm not allowed to mention] at about midnight, very excited to go to bed and get a good night's sleep at my parent's place, where it is quiet and comfortable. I thought this would kick the cough I've been sporting and generally brighten up my dull, lacklustre skin. Right. So I get into bed, pop a melatonin, and slather on some $30 eye cream that smells like delicious flowers. I start to wind down and relax when I hear the oh-too-familiar sound of mosquitoes hunting me: eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee right beside my ear.

Ugh, I think. Bite me all you want, just please don't make that noise. ... eeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I smack my own face a few times. Silence. ...eeeeeeeeeeee. I get up and turn on the light. I wait. There it is. Smack. Got him. Lights out, back to sleep. Start to relax, wind down, when of course, I hear right in my ear: eeeeeeeeeeee. I cover my head with as many blankets as I can. Ouch. It bit my eye. I turn on the light again, smack another one dead. Back to bed. Start to relax. eeeeeeeeeeeeee ouch! Bit my same eye again! I get up, go find myself some off skintastic in the kitchen and slather it all over myself. Same thing again, and yet ANOTHER bit on the same eye. It's 230 in the morning, and my eye is puffed up like a scary monster. I start to cry. Then I grab my pillow and blanket and go sleep on the couch downstairs.

This morning, I smell like off skintastic, I have one giant puffed up eye, and my skin is certainly still looking lacklustre. Serves me right for being vain.

No comments: